We're always selling.
Marketing our business, is obvious. Yet, we're always walking around selling our ideas to our friends, pitching ideas for social activities, selling loved ones on things we want to buy, do, or places we want to go. We sell all the time.
Now that we agree on that, let's talk about how you can position yourself and your service or idea so that others will jump on board.
Why do we complicate everything?
Marketing is simple and so are business plans. You don't need to create some intense document that looks like an investment bankers spreadsheet to know what you do, who you serve, where you are and where you want to be.
This week I was at a Marketing for Lawyers Conference a full day continuing legal education event in New York City. There were fabulous speakers sharing decades of experience in legal marketing for law firms.
I was taken aback that the same exact principles I use to work with private clients in helping them grow their businesses and put their purpose work into the world, were shared by in house Chief Marketing Officers and private marketing consultants to Billion dollar firms.
My take away: Everything is the Same and everything is different. When it's the same it's the same, when it's different it's different. Keep it simple.
In other words, we complicate everything when really life is so simple. There are a simple set of marketing rules that apply to all -giant billion dollar law firms and individual service providers:
6 Simple Marketing Practices to
Grow YOU and Grow Your Business:
Let's go in depth here...
1. Purpose: You need to know your WHY- why are you doing what you do? What is your calling - your Soul's Agenda on this planet in this lifetime? What are you so passionate about in your life that it feels so important to pull you forward? What is YOUR purpose?
What is your business' purpose? OR what is the purpose of your proposition or proposal? Knowing what you want and why you want it is very important before you will be able to manifest it to spec!
2. Mission: What's your mission statement? Do you have one? Does your business have a mission statement? Do you have a mission? How is it connected to your businesses mission? Creating a powerful statement that secures your mission brings clarity to your strategy. It is a compass that directs all of your activities. This isn't written in stone. You can change your mission. Start somewhere. Your mission reflects what's important to you or your business - it reflects your values.
3. Strategy: You need to know where you'd like to be. If you don't have a business, yet you've got a pulse and desire for something in life- you need a vision. From that vision you need a strategy. As I borrow from others who've said this, "Hope is not a strategy."
Even if you're having a baby. These days you've got a purpose, a mission, and you need a strategy. If you have a business- it's like having a baby. You need to chart your course.
Often we get stuck at this point because we can only strategize from what we know. It helps to have support in all phases and especially this phase if you want epic success. You can only know what you know.
Remember there are things you know you don't know and things you don't even know you don't know.
"Stop thinking like you're a manager of your circumstances and remember you're a creator of your life." Tony Robbins
4. Goals: Once you have a strategy you create goals. Goals are step by step benchmarks. They're ideas with deadlines. They pull you forward and stretch you. You want your goals to be big enough to feel scary yet still at a level that you BELIEVE are achievable.
5. Plan: A plan is something you sink into. You create a plan (preferably with some guidance) to help you achieve your goals while staying in alignment with your strategy and always measuring whether it's in alignment with your mission -your values- and your purpose.
6. Execution: Taking action is the hard part for many people. You bump up against edges that are uncomfortable and here's where your beliefs, mindsets and paradigms are challenged.
This is the critical step. Executing your plan means moving forward consistently celebrating successes and course correcting promptly when things are not working.
Execution will test how thick or thin your skin is when it comes to failure and rejection. This is your opportunity to SHINE. It's where you get to transform old stories of who you think you are to step into who you are becoming.
This is where your challenges become levers- not stopping points.
If you're not moving at full speed. It's worth reaching out for help FAST. I watch people suffer needlessly when there is so much help available. A breakthrough is a STATE shift away. The starting place is to ask, "How attached to this state of ______ am I? How is it serving me?" (there is always a gain)
Your next level of success is one decision away!
Are you in? Let's talk.
Please share your comments below: Which of the 6 practices do you have the easiest time with? Which is most challenging and why?
Plus: If you'd like to breakthrough and move forward more rapidly, on purpose and connected to your Inner Source of Power apply for a one on one Strategy Session and we'll have 30 minutes on the phone to help you get clear on your next best steps! (these are always breakthrough calls!) Apply Here